In 1988, wrote the musician Nikolaj Peyk it big julehit 'Christmas it' cool' to MC Einar, but it was only with the rapgruppen east Coast Hustlers, formed in 1993, that his career really took off.
In the 90's released rapgruppen three award-winning plates, which was torn down by the shelves, and at their concerts was sung on hits such as 'He gets a little' and 'Money in on Thursday'.
But the song, as Nikolaj Peyk themselves are most proud of having written, is a song from 1996. It taught him to pack the irony away as a songwriter.
See also: Essential news from the kræftramt jysk rock star
Which song is your best?
- There, I must say 'Hopeless' from the album 'Full of lies'. I think something happened with me, when I was doing it. It was a song I had to write, and it encapsulates very well the position, I have to the world.
What inspired the song?
- the Song is a defense of that it's fine not to be in the forefront. I have never thought that the coolest people in the world are the ones who have the most control of things, and I have a feeling that in general people have been very happy for the song.
- I think to a great many people have been walking around with a latent inferiority complex about not being smart and successful, how the song has helped them very much. I am proud of that.
See also: After the divorce: the House sold in record time
How is it to play live?
- It is totally amazing and beyond all expectations. It has been a much bigger hit with the time, than when it came out.
- People have come forth and said that they will have tattooed the line: 'So long as I am hopeless, there is hope yet'. They ask me to write it, but I will not. I will not be that sticking needles in the arm with some nasty handwriting.
- At one point we played the song for a hjemløsarrangement at the town square, because they would like to have it so that it hits the enormously wide. It is you have to be humble about.
See also: Married tv host to stand up: 'I'm gay'
What has it meant for your career?
- The song that has meant the most to my career, is 'Christmas it' cool', but 'Hopeless' has meant extremely much for me in terms of finding out what I could as a songwriter.
- I could peel off a big part of the irony away and do something that was quite frankly, without it becoming embarrassing.
- We found out that you don't need to rub everything into irony. You dare not coat or says something, you can be caught at when you are ironic. It is cool when you find out that you have to be honest and naked.
Nikolaj Peyk and the east Coast Hustlers is right now current with the album 'ten thousand hours'. It is rapgruppens first release in 22 years.