When a 60-year-old farmer, was bitten in the finger by a particularly feared viper, while he was in the process of chopping wood in a mountain village near the Zhejiang province in China, he took no chances.
With the danger of the poison spread to the rest of the body, he ended up to chop the finger at themselves.
the Snake, which bit him, is locally notorious as the 'five-step snake' because of the belief that the victims are not able to walk more than five steps before death occurs.
Despite the smertehelvedet wrapped his hand up in a cloth and made the 80 mile journey to Hangzhou - the nearest large city - where he could receive medical treatment.
But here he was met with a somewhat unexpected message:
- It is not necessary to cut your finger of. The five-step snake is not as poisonous told a doctor, according to the Hangzhou Daily.
Doctors at the Hangzhou Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine believed that there was not need to have taken such a drastic step, because the snake is less deadly than is generally assumed.
However, the accident would no end take. For the doctors, however, had not the opportunity to sew the amputated finger in again, as the slangebidte farmer had left it on the field.