As Mads Würtz Schmidt on Sunday rolled out in the countryside around Girona, together with the other members of the now large colony of Danish professional cyclists in the city, it was his preliminary last trip in the region due to corona-infection.
Würtz Schmidt and træningskammeraterne Lasse Norman Hansen, Julie Leth, Casper Pedersen, Michael Carbel, Mikkel Bjerg, Emma Norsgaard and Cecilie Uttrup understood soon that they risked both arrest and fine if they continued the workout outdoors.
They rushed home, and because of a curfew on Monday, none of them cycled under the open sky ago. For Mads Würtz Schmidt comes a planned trip to Denmark on Wednesday, therefore, a blessing.
- I will become crazy if I can't get out to ride a bike. I'm used to using my body and burn off some energy, says Mads Würtz Schmidt.
- It is there just to lie on the couch all the time makes me feel like a lazy pig. How to have all of us cyclists it is shown.
- Here in Spain, there have since Monday morning been a curfew, where only the absolutely necessary errands, is permissible, says the 25-year-old rider, who got the message from his team's press officer that the Catalan authorities have banned all outdoor cycling.
Mads Würtz Schmidt during the CHAMPIONSHIPS in road cycling 2019, which was held in Esbjerg, denmark. Shortly after, he made his debut with success in the Tour de France. Photo: Ernst van Norde.
the Purpose of the stay in Denmark was originally to train in the cold, often rain-soaked north before the classics in Belgium. They are canceled because of the coronafrygten, but Würtz Schmidt is still home to Randers, where it is still allowed to train outdoors.
I have never been better running than I am right now. My contract expires this year, and with the shape I have now, would I be able to run me to a really bold contract, I am convinced.
- I think I would be able to take a step up, so if you see it here from a purely cykelmæssig angle, so it is mega annoying, says Mads Würtz Schmidt in the phone from his apartment in Girona.
unlike most of his fellow coach Mads Würtz Schmidt is not indoors on a so-called ‘home trainer’, there is wi-fi is associated with the advanced training software, as it is widely Zwift. He prefers the real thing.
I grew up in Randers, and we drove damn well on the road regardless, whether it was snow or sunny weather, so I'm used to exercising outdoors in all kinds of weather, says Mads Würtz Schmidt.
- I have never tried Zwift, but there are many who say that it works very well. I'm just a bit more old-fashioned, so I have not even a home trainer.
- I have no idea, when I again run the race, so I have just the plan, I have no plan. In Denmark I just have to work out and find the joy of running on the bike.
- Maybe, I run a day just a few hours, while I another day, if the weather is good, running from at nine o'clock in the morning to seven in the evening. I just want to let the desire control my training and forget the little that it is a work.
- It is also a good workout, says Mads Würtz Schmidt.
He expects his next race will be the Critérium du Dauphiné, which run in the first week of June.
--------- SPLIT ELEMENT ---------Sure contract
Mads Würtz Schmidt was the captain of the Team Postnord in Denmark, Around Denmark last year. Photo: Jens Dresling / Ritzau Scanpix.
Mads Würtz Schmidt is in his fourth season on the World Tour, which is the highest level in the sport. He drove for three seasons for Katusha, and is now on the payroll on the brand new World Tour-team Israel Start-Up Nation.
His contract expires this year, but he feels sure that he should probably extend his career at the highest level.
- I am glad that I have had the opportunity to show the good bars in the cycling, after all I have been able to run in years, " says Mads Würtz Schmidt.
- There are many who do not even have the chance to run a race in years. So one must eddermame be pressed and stressed and be in no doubt about what the hell is going to happen. I would be, if it were me.
- It is the same with all the young riders, which have built up to that, here should be the year where they had to drive themselves to a World Tour contract. They are in a difficult situation with the many cancelled races, says Würtz Schmidt.
- None of have the desire to keep free at this time of the year. We have trained all winter to be ready, and I personally have never been so serious, focused and motivated over a winter before.
- It is pisseærgerligt that it all ends like this, but I can understand perfectly well that one takes all the precautions to get coronavirussen to life, says Mads Würtz Schmidt.
See also: Danish Tour-darling: - My team is at a standstill
See also: world Champion Pedersen pulled Nibali against the total victory
See also: Søren Kragh Andersen wins the time trial in Paris-Nice
Cycling - 5. nov. 2019 - at. 08:30 Fuglsang is the king of 2019!