Sánchez rules out the electoral repetition and insists that there will be an agreement

Neither plan A, nor plan B, nor plan C.

Oliver Thansan
Oliver Thansan
19 September 2023 Tuesday 04:24
4 Reads
Sánchez rules out the electoral repetition and insists that there will be an agreement

Neither plan A, nor plan B, nor plan C. None of that goes through the head of the acting president of the government Pedro Sánchez.

The socialist leader assured yesterday, on his second day in New York on the occasion of the UN General Assembly, that he is not working in alternative fields. Today there is no question of a repeat election and all his energies are focused on working for a progressive executive, which has achieved social progress and brought harmony to Catalonia.

Regarding the foundations on which to support this idea, especially the rocking nature of Junts, he maintained that he will speak when it is his time and he receives the assignment of his investiture. Because this is Alberto Núñez Feijóo's moment and his attempt to reach Moncloa next week, something that he considers a waste of time.

The interim president made these reflections in an informal conversation with journalists covering his visit to Manhattan. This was his second day, which concluded with the reception of US President Joe Biden to world leaders. It was a valley day, calmer than Monday and much calmer than today. His agenda for the closing of this journey includes participation in an event organized by the Chamber of Commerce of Spain and the United States and the newspaper El País and, at the UN, he intervenes in the Climate Action Summit and delivers two speeches, one in the Security Council and another in the plenary session of the Assembly.

Sánchez stressed that he feels optimistic about reaching an agreement that will allow him to be sworn in and form a progressive government, since he thinks the numbers support that. But he insisted on the need to respect the times, and now the leader of the PP is making a move, whom he described as lacking political autonomy and the victim of a nonsense like Sunday's act proposed by José María Aznar. It will not be until the moment he fails that he will talk about possible negotiations and demands for political formations. He did not advance anything, but insisted that during the investiture process he will appear in public, leaving no room for speculation. His objective moves in three parameters: conversation, dialogue and the framework of the Constitution.

This is the argument that he repeated when asking whether he will demand that the pro-independence parties renounce the path of unilateralism in exchange for processing the amnesty. That is what Vice President Yolanda Díaz declared in an interview with La Vanguardia, as informants recalled. Sánchez said that he is determined to obtain the necessary support to continue supporting coexistence and harmony in Catalonia after considering his policy to be supported by the majority of the electorate of that community.

An electorate that, according to their version, has 10% of citizens who are committed to unilateralism, so we must speak to the remaining 90%, and that is the responsibility of the political forces.

In the face of criticism from former socialist leaders such as Felipe González, he replied that he was convinced that they had no impact on either the progressive electorate or the militancy, and he expressed confidence that they would support possible government agreements. And he reiterated his respect for González, to whom he owes his joining the Socialist Party in 1993.