The Formula 1 World Championship returns this weekend in Monaco –after the suspension of the Imola race last week due to flooding in the Emilia Romagna region– with a Fernando Alonso on fire. The Asturian driver, subscribed to the podium this 2023 with Aston Martin, is ready to look for his 33rd victory, taking advantage of the particularity of the Monegasque urban layout.
“If I tell you that I don't come here thinking that I can win, I would lie to you. It is a unique opportunity. I am going to attack more than in any other weekend”, said the Spaniard in the run-up to the sixth grand prix on the calendar.
"We have the same opportunities as in other circuits. We are not thinking of being the strongest, but if I tell you that I do not come with the idea of winning, I would be lying," Alonso said at the official FIA press conference.
The Asturian, who won twice in Monaco (2006 and 2007), has not won an F1 race since the 2013 Spanish GP with Ferrari, it will be exactly 10 years and 16 days on Sunday.
"I think Ferrari will be strong, as it was already in the Baku race. Monaco and Singapore are good circuits for us and we will try to show our best version to fight for victory. I wouldn't mind the rain or the changing conditions for this weekend week", commented the driver from Oviedo, convinced of Aston Martin's good performance on very twisty tracks with slow corners, where it defends itself best, as opposed to high-speed corners and straight lines, where the rivals are stronger.
Fernando Alonso was also very satisfied with the future association of his Aston Martin team with the engine supplier Honda from 2026, when the new engine regulations will begin.
“This is very good news for the team, very exciting. I think it shows the true commitment of Aston Martin to win races and championships in the future, being an independent team, manufacturing its own gearboxes and all the parts of the car," Alonso said at the FIA press conference.