Since Kevin Magnussen could say race car, he has shared his father's burning passion for speed on four wheels.
the most winning race car driver through time, Jan Magnussen, was Kevin's great exemplar, when he was a kid. It has the now 26-year-old Formula 1-running with 100 years in the luggage never made a secret of.
But it has not always been smooth to have two ambitious fartdjvæle in the same family. It tells of Kevin Magnussen in the Danish TV2 Play-the program 'Emil and Kevin at Havana', where the racing driver shows a very personal and private side of himself during a sailing trip with Emil Midé Erichsen.
See also: Havana-Emil: - I smoke down in the wildest hole
- We went through a period where we could not agree. He began to push me and tried to be too much trainer or coach tells Kevin Magnussen Emil Midé Erichsen, who, like the racing driver has chosen to follow in his father's footsteps.
Jan and Kevin Magnussen have had some serious talk about how much daddy had to interfere. Photo: Jan Sommer
Kevin Magnussen says that it has taken some pretty direct talk with his father, before they found the shape of their professional conversations.
- I could not suffer, and that he cared about whether I had made it good enough or not. Or if I met a yellow flag or something.
- I did not like, he went into the trænerrolle. I could not take the criticism - such a professional criticism - from him. So we went through a period where we - or he - should practice not to interfere, says Kevin Magnussen.
The Danish Haas-runs had more need of a father than even the one that had to tell he what he had done wrong.
- There are lots of people, you get criticism - so I do not need to get it of my father also, he says.
Film, tv & radio - 27. oct. 2019 - at. 14:25 Kevin recognises: - That sounds wildly arrogant
Kevin Magnussen does not dispute that his father's advice was given in the best sense.
- But I would like to make me my own experience, he states.
today Kevin and Jan Magnussen found the right way to talk about race and the cars and the talking essentially not about the second, says Kevin Magnussen in the program, where he does not hesitate to say to his father today is the best motorsportsfar ever.
Kevin Magnussen running in this weekend Formula 1 in the UNITED states at Circuit of The Americas.
Jan Magnussen travel regularly out in the world to see his son run Formula 1. Photo: Jan Sommer