MALMÖ (Ekstra Bladet): They had the chance to win, they had not strictly speaking deserved it. Denmark has, after 24-24 against Hungary is still a glimmer of hope to go on, if the Island onduleret Hungary, and Denmark beats Russia on Wednesday.
the Island is on, but Gudmundur Gudmundssons troops play of course for a victory that gives them two points into the next phase of the european championships.
But it is not nice for verdensmestrene to stand and be dependent on others, admits Nikolaj Jacobsen, who has got blood pressure driblet down in usually rent a quarter of an hour after the match.
- the Pulse is dropped down a bit after a hectic battle, he says, and acknowledges that:
- We had absolutely no control, but with 24-24 and SO many errors and so many burnt ends, one should really not expect to get anything from a handball match, as we did today.
- today, I think it is our own game, that is. I count five shots PAST the goal in the first half plus seven burned 100 percent chances, and we have to lead at the break and not let Hungary be in front of.
- So should the team be commended for that we will have fought back in the second half, as it looks bad out, but you can well see, it's not a team that has the same self-confidence and come with the same advanced brystkasser, as it did a year ago.
A good example is our overtalsspil, who was eminent during the WORLD cup, it has now in both matches not been damn good.
Mikkel Hansen will get a proper earful. Paris-the star had not any lucky day, scoring only three times, and burned five attempts. Including a penalties. Photo: Lars Poulsen
- How is it to stand in the situation?
- Oh, it's not fun, it is clear. We had given the hope of something else, so of course it is really too bad. On Saturday, it was a good fight, and the Island earned the victory – or at least the one point because they played well. Today, I think, it is ourselves who create the problems we get with Hungary.
- it Was defeat enough to shake you up to this match?
- You should not neglect, to the new format, where only two teams move on, means something. So, when you lose to Iceland, you have your back against the wall, and even if you try not to think about the idea, so can't help with it: So that after the two matches can be thrown home.
- It is hard when you are in a situation as we are – and as France was. When teams meet us they can play freely, because there is no pressure to succeed. It is on us, and therefore, this format is extremely hard. So, when you lose the first, there is no doubt that the importance of this battle and the outcome of the... well, I think you could see it affected us more than I had feared.
- Get their offensive defence as a surprise to you?
- I do not think their defense takes the fuse on the us. We toplay us in the fine chances before the break, that there's as such no need to do something about. We have really mastered it – but we are just not scored.
- We are of course disappointed. We can't even determine it, and now we have to hope for our icelandic friends, if you can afford to call them that. They are each on Wednesday. But the feeling of having a need for help from others is of course not rar.
- players Must have a røffel or comforted?
- It is a little of both. I am not satisfied, and it is the players either, but we win and lose as a team.
- Are you surprised by the performance in the european championships until now?
- I am surprised by the performance today, I'm surprised that we can make so many mistakes and seem as nervous as we do.
Niklas Landin had 20 saves and stood with 45 percent. Fine - just not enough on a night when the Danish offensive was not at all in gear. Photo: Lars Poulsen
Niklas Landin rev 20 saves out of the sleeves and worthy of praise. There are not many others that do...
- Niklas is really good and helps to keep us inside in the fight, so he deserves a lot of praise, like the Yorkshire, playing a nice battle, and I think also, Mads Mensah goes in and takes some responsibility in some critical phases of the fight, but otherwise is in such a struggle to get really good performance.
- Winner of the Hungarian trainer at taktikbrættet?
- It seems I did not, for we solve things much along the way, but we will have to try something, or else the begin the heads that hang longer and longer down, says Nikolaj Jacobsen, who has had his challenges with injuries – and especially one player is missing:
- I miss Magnus Landin crazy much, and there are still-lifes, I can not play. He is probably our most important player in relation to the balance of the team.
- France is out. At the risk of the same in an EM that is extended with eight teams. Should you change the format?
- I will not stand here and whining, when we can't do it better than we do. So it's just clap your heels together and take arbejdshandskerne on.
- You seem very quiet?
- It is handball. I have experienced many worse things in life than to lose a handball match, so that is not something that is going to shake me. Even if I lose a handball match, so is it still Tuesday morning after in the night!
See also: I miss the Danish national team
Handball - 13. jan. 2020 - pm. 22:00 Drama right at the end: Denmark to live after the tie
Handball - 13. jan. 2020 - pm. 22:22 Two was brilliant: But where was Mikkel?