the Third and last workout before the UNITED states Grand Prix will be crucial for both Haas-drivers, which is relatively blind to the crucial part of the weekend.
the Car felt good in first practice, while the other was not given the great relevance to the current race.
Kevin Magnussens time at Circuit of the Americas was allocated to the aerodynamic testing, which should be used for the development of the 2020 car and to ensure that the reality out on the course consistent with the wind tunnel and simulator.
And Romain Grosjean only managed a few laps, before a major crash put an end to the frenchman's training. The team therefore has no relevant data on the medium-covered, which will be important during the actual song contest.
RED FLAG@RGrosjean has spun and hit the barriers - he tells his team he's okay but the car is not#USGP #F1 pic.twitter.com/KZOyEB7w65— Formula 1 (@F1) November 1, 2019
- the First lap was fine and the car felt balanced. I pressed on the next, and reached the fifth turn, when the rear end suddenly switched place with the front end. There is no explanation, " says Romain Grosjean.
- We changed the setup from one to the other workouts, but honestly we are trying to understand what happened, for it is not something you can control.
- a Little frustrating that we lost another workout, he says.
Romain Grosjeans second training session was quickly over. Photo: Jerome Miron/Ritzau Scanpix
In Kevin Magnussens side of the garage was all focus on 2020, where the dane ran with a completely different car compared with the first workout.
- the Second training session was, most of all, an aerodynamic test. We got what we needed in relation to the data and returns to the right car on Saturday and try to get something more out of it, he says.
The 90 minutes on the pitch was about the validation of the data.
- these things are very complicated, but we have to correlate from the track to the wind tunnel and simulator, he explains.
- It is a sign of how much we bet on the future, when you put in a whole session to the page to test some stuff for next year. It was just research.
Kevin Magnussen also drove a single round with a completely new frontvinge, which is markedly different from the current and very reminiscent of Ferraris of the design. It comes, however, not in use for real in years.
So the reality in Texas is not quite so bad as the times from the second practice suggests.
I still believe, we are just outside the top ten, but it is close. I am looking to get back to the other car and see if we can get a little more out of it and keep the level. If we can qualify just outside the top ten, it looks fine, and we should be able to run for points, says Kevin Magnussen.
Only the first practice for Kevin Magnussen was directed to put the car up for this weekend. Photo: MARK THOMPSON/AFP/Ritzau Scanpix
team boss Günther Steiner is also confident.
- A busy day. The first training went according to plan, and everything worked fine. In the second workout we had planned very testing, especially with Kevin. We obtained our results, and although the times might not look so good out, we learned much, he says.
One rider had a worse day than Romain Grosjean.
Racing Points Sergio Perez missed a weighing during the second workout, and when it happens, there is no mercy from the judges: Mexicaneren must start the race from the pitlane.
See also: Thank you for the adventure, Kevin
See also: Drengerøvene unleashed: - I was sure we would run
See also: F1-revolution: the Future of the racers revealed
See also: Kevin remember back: The very best
Luke Graham played Friday night in Austin and was over before noon to greet. Photo: Haas F1 Team