The Norwegian race Gylne Gutuer, where he ended as number five, it was the last race in stortalentet Rasmus Guldhammers career. His pained, congested by the body and no signs of recovery after a serious crash in 2017 drives him now to abandon his life's dream job.
- I made the decision, when it became clear that there is more to do. There is no recovery, and the slider at a constant run around with the pain, says Rasmus Guldhammer to Ekstra Bladet.
- I cleared with the fact that it is over, but it is of course sad. It cuts in the heart to have to give up cycling, as have been all my life.
Guldhammer, who is running for Bjarne Riis' Team Waoo, crashed on a training ride in the forest on his crosscykel in October 2017 and sustained a serious fracture of a vertebra. He avoided surgery, but had to lie three months in sygesengen with the cross.
Guldhammer during training prior to the net Around Denmark, which was run in august. It was his last performance in Denmark's largest cycling event. Photo: Ernst van Norde.
the Crash happened at a time when he was in dialogue with the World Tour team Trek-Segafredo on a contract. All drew like him, but from the time when he lay in the floor with unbearable pain, there are, career-wise, the only few bright spots.
- the Day after Denmark Around I got the treatment of perhaps the ablest Body SDS therapist, who is available, and it was my last hope, Rasmus Guldhammer.
Body SDS is described as 'kropsterapeutisk overall treatment' and is developed by Bjarne Riis's close friend, the recently deceased Ole Kåre Føli, which is said to have done miracles with injured athletes through the ages.
that deal, Kristoffer Glavind Kjær, has worked for the Team Tinkoff and also covers, among other footballers from the Premier League. He worked intensely with Guldhammer, but the 30-year-old rider experienced no improvement.
Rasmkus Guldhammer was early in his career, on contract on the World Tour-team HTC Columbia, and he was close to make a comeback at the highest level, when the accident struck. Photo: Ernst van Norde.
the Nerves in his back and in the left buttock was damaged in the crash, which has weakened his muscles. In the saddle compensated for his weakening by overloading his right hand, and it gave him a serious consequential, with pain in back, buttock, shoulders - pain, that could also 'beam' out in left leg and hand.
- I can't run around and hurt always. I can feel that I am physically exhausted, for I have pushed my body incredibly hard for a long time, says Rasmus Guldhammer.
At a time is enough. It has made my decision easier, that there has not been any improvement. There is no reason for it to be at.
- It has been a privilege for me to live the life of cycling in 12 years. I have lived and breathed for the sport, and I can be proud of my career.
I had never ridden a Grand Tour, and I won, never DM, as I had dreamed of, but I have experienced and achieved so much, that I have no reason to regret anything, says Rasmus Guldhammer.
the Rasmus Guldhammer was professional on the success of the World Tour-team HTC Columbia in 2010, but chose already the year after to run on kontinentalniveau. In 2014, he drove the fall in the Tinkoff-Saxo as stagiaire - intern and continued as a professional in the Danish prokontinentalhold Cult.
In 2017, he returned home to Bjarne Riis' kontinentalhold hoping to secure a professional contract. The hope was shattered when he damaged his back.
He now hopes to be able to continue in the sport as a part of the staff of a cycling team.
See also: Oliemillioner can crush Riis's dream
See also: Riis give up: Close off its World Tour-team
See also: Co-director will still run the Tour in Denmark
See also: Deficit in the Riis group: Team threatened the existence