over the summer there lived a viper under the terrace of Simon Kvamms house in Klitmøller.
And it has, to put it mildly, set the 44-year-old musician's nerves to the test.
See also: Simon Kvamm in maria digress
Viper is not just toxic, but the snakes is also, without comparison, the animals, Simon Kvamm is most afraid of. And that is precisely why fit the name Viper really well to the new band he has formed.
- For me there is an element of the Viper, which is about to go where you're afraid to go. Where you think it is disgusting. The meeting with his anxiety and his disgust and his anger, with open brow and just go with it, he explains.
Simon Kvamm announced in early January that he has formed a new band in collaboration with the musicians Morten Gorm and Árni Bergmann.
In a little more found her plan, the two also inspired the name Viper.
- Morten called 'Gorm' to the surname, and Árni comes from Iceland, where, on football stadiums clapping your hands together over your head and shout 'hu!'.
- So, 'hu' and 'gorm' was for the Viper, explains Simon Kvamm.
Hugorms first ep, 'People should just keep their mouths shut', published 24. January. Photo: Claus Bjørn Larsen
See also: Why is Simon Kvamm moved
Finally, viper in the high degree at home in Denmark, where the band was created back in 2017.
It all began when Morten Gorm in a longer period of time had been sitting in his bathroom on the night while his family slept, and recorded the music on his guitar.
He sent the music to the Árni Bergmann, who sent it to Simon Kvamm, and the former Nephew-frontman was caught.
Viper has come from the side in my life. It is not something I have planned.
- It started as something we sat down and was playing with It for fun, for the feeling of 'fuck, where is the fat, it's I have to go with' to see what it can become.
I could feel that I was going to have to take the band into the middle of my career and give it the time and energy and explore it. If we then find a treasure at the end of the road or end up in a dead end, it will prove, he says.
Simon Kvamm see the Viper as a space where he can be allowed to move out in some new musical corners and draw on everything, he is rounded in his career.
Nephew. The Only Two. The solo project Jellyfish and satiregruppen the Boys from Angora.
- It is an incredible liberation to enter into a playful space where I can be allowed to spasse out, which I have had use for, but also use humour, as long as the have been stored away in me and not have been so evident in the music, he says.
When Simon Kvamm talking about spasse out, he believes in the music, but just as much on the stage.
- I have all sorts of ideas that I must try to live. I have among other things built a large magnifying glass on a stand is called a tv-microscope, to which older people have in front of their tv to enlarge the picture – which I can stand behind.
- When I move the head, it looks insanely odd, because my head will be huge on top of a small body. It I use one or two songs, so it almost becomes more of a stage play than me, is singing. I think it is fun, he says.
Performances will be at the very core of Viper, says Simon Kvamm. He sees mainly itself as livemusiker.
I feel very much in balance, when I stand on stage, because I feel that I can show who I am on good and evil. Weak, strong and everything in between.
- the moment I step off the stage, I feel a little out of the park again and go a little too much one way or the other way. Says something that I can't quite believe, pleaser a little too much or is a little too arrogant. But as soon as I go up on stage – doiiiing! – then I levelled again, he says.
in addition to experimenting with new live shows has Simon Kvamm also had the desire and urge to write the text, which not necessarily makes sense, but is fun.
With the Viper, I have really caused me to detach from that thinking: 'What is this song about? What is the message?'
- I talked a lot with Peter the Summer that I would like to get rid of my text more free and come to something that was more abstract, and he had a very good picture on it.
- instead of that, I stand with a hammer and turn at the same point to say 'this song is about IT here', then I'm a shipper, who just banging around after all possible. But you can still feel the energy,and I tell me that you can feel what the songs are about, says Simon Kvamm with a smile.
Hugorms song 'Say just nothing' from the band's debut ep is a perfect example of it, he says.
part of the text reads:
My dog has the shits on everything that is high / my health insurance card it seems a little poor / I get the mon use for it / I get the mon use for you / I'm thinking yes, but my mouth says no
- It makes no sense, and therefore sounds the refrain 'can you hear, I say just nothing'. But still, there is a type of frustration and anger in the song, says Simon Kvamm.
He enjoys that space to strike out with the arms in the new band.
Simon Kvamm have often used the bådmetaforer in his career, and he describes Nephew as a super tanker, which, due to the band's size can be heavier to navigate in a new direction.
Viper is a speedboat, which can quickly sail one way or the other, and where we can quickly go with some ideas, he says.
at the same time, is there not some expectations as to what the Viper is, or should be.
- There are some hits that people expect, that we play at the concerts, or some ways, we need to be on. First we need to create, what the band should be, and I think it is a great feeling, says Simon Kvamm.
Hugorms first ep, 'People should just keep their mouths shut', published 24. January.
See also: Stenrig: So much earn Kvamm after magazine