Apple is looking into an incident in which an Arizona teen’s iPhone 7 Plus “blew up” while she was charging the smartphone, according to Variety.com.
“We are in touch with the customer and looking into it,” an Apple representative told the Web site Mashable, which originally reported the news.
On Wednesday, the teen, Brianna Olivas, posted a video on Twitter of her iPhone 7 Plus with a melted case smoldering on a bathroom counter.
“So my IPhone 7 plus blew up this morning … was not even using it, literally no explanation for this,” she tweeted.
The smoking phone may be an aberration, but Variety.com said that last fall an Australian man reported a similar case. Apple did not respond to the Web site’s request for comment.
The report of the smoldering smartphone echoes problems Samsung had last year with its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone. The company recalled 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7s after numerous consumers reported injuries from exploding smartphones.
Shares of Apple have been trading around all-time highs this month, partly on expectations that the 10th-anniversary version of its iPhone will be a blockbuster.
The stock closed at $136.66 on Friday, up 13 cents.
Our editors found this article on this site using Google and regenerated it for our readers.