Midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg was one of the footballers who had seen extra very much looking forward to the summer, where he should have played EM at home.
But as a result of the global outbreak of the coronavirus was EM-finals on Tuesday deferred a year. This was decided by The European Football association earlier on Tuesday.
It is sensible but drønærgerligt, says Pierre-Emile Højbjerg to Politiken.
- It's about winning the fight against coronavirussen. In the serious situation we are in, football is not so important. Therefore, I think that it is right, UEFA is doing.
- But what set it is, of course, drønærgerligt for us danes, to the great football feast, we've all been looking forward to for a few months, have to be delayed. It is something you as a player have been looking forward immensely to and talked down to, he says to the newspaper.
the Midfielder was away from the national team for a period of two years, before he in October 2018 was again taken by Åge Hareide. Since Southampton-the captain has been a regular part of the squad, and he got playing time in all Denmark european championship qualifying.
Højbjerg has played 33 matches and scored three goals since his debut in 2014.
See also: the european championship in football and the Tour de France in Copenhagen in the course of one summer – can it be done?
See also: Also the players backs up: The right decision to postpone EM
Intl. football - 17. mar. 2020 - pm. 16:07 You have bought the EM-tickets - now what?