There will be no Formula 1 premiere in Australia this weekend.
It is clear the night of Friday local time, the australian organisers, The International Motorsportsunion (FIA) and the company behind the Formula 1 pulled the plug on the basis of the rampaging coronaviruses.
the Decision was taken as a result of that, McLaren withdrew after an employee tested positive for the coronavirus.
- the Discussions ended with a majority vote from the teams that the race would not take place. The FIA and Formula 1 have, therefore, with the full support of The Australian Grand Prix Organisation decided that the Formula 1 activities in Australia the Grand Prix is canceled, says in a press release.
the Meeting was held from midnight local time, and it would take over ten hours, before the cancellation was official. Thousands of fans stood Friday morning at the entrances with no message about what was going on.
the Teams leave Australia as quickly as possible. Photo: Edgar Su/Reuters/Ritzau Scanpix
local media said the medical officer, that if the race had to be eliminated, it was without spectators. The australian promoter pressed, however, to conduct the song contest.
as late as one hour before the cancellation was announced supportserien 'Supercars' that you expected to run this weekend's race, but after consultation with the local government without spectators.
Formula 1 - and, in practice, the teams - near vienna decision:
- At 9.00 in the day (at. 23 English time) got The Australian Grand Prix Organisation message of the Formula 1, of their intention to cancel all F1 activities at the Australian Grand Prix. In light of this decision and for updated advice this morning from Victoria's health officer, confirms The Australian Grand Prix Organisation, to the Australian Grand Prix has been cancelled with immediate effect, says a press release.
At 01.30 deepened the decision at a press conference.
Before the official announcements came, reached the Mercedes to withdraw.
- Due to the force majeure events we experience in relation to coronavirussen, we do not feel any longer that our employees ' safety can be guaranteed, if we continue to participate in this event, writes the team.
- We feel strongly of the deteriorating situation in Europe - particularly in Italy - and, moreover, we do not feel that it will be correct to participate in an event where the competitors like McLaren can't participate due to reasons beyond their control. Our team start to pack up on the track this morning.
Black clouds over the not only Formula 1, but the entire world. Photo: Edgar Su/Reuters/Ritzau Scanpix
Ferrari supported quickly the decision:
- Our team members ' safety is our top priority, especially as covid-19-the pandemic continues to spread rapidly. We feel with the fans, who had plans to come to Albert Park and supporting the Formula 1 race with their usual enthusiasm, and all those who would have seen from all over the world.
Kevin Magnussen was among the first drivers to back up on the resolution.
- I was looking forward so much to run the race this weekend, but safety and everyone's health is the most important, so it was the right decision. Take good care of yourselves and each other, writes dane on Twitter.
the McLaren report that they have located an additional 14 members of the team in quarantine at their hotel. It is the group of employees, who have been close to the one member who was diagnosed with coronavirus.
See also: Coronafrygten rests over the F1: - As if we are in a movie
Formula 1 - 12. mar. 2020 - pm. 12:26 McLaren dropping Formula 1-grandprix
Formula 1 - 3. mar. 2020 - pm. 15:30 Teamejerens clear message: Haas-team risk closure