Soon there is the premiere of a new season of the Channel 5 programme ’Across the Atlantic’, where a number of well-known danes should try to travel around the 6000 mile voyage from Lanzarote to Saint Martin in the Caribbean.
on Board is Jesper Vollmer, who is a renowned chef and former chef to prince Henrik. He had romanticised the trip, before you said ’departure’, and the reality hit him. Hard.
the idea Of intimate moments with a cup of coffee in hand, the dolphins jumping by the boat's side and pure idyll around him was quickly replaced.
- I lie on a time and looking up towards the stars, after I just storbrækket me out over the rail, and thinking, ’fuck, there are 12 days left of it here', he tells about his sea sickness, that was intense.
- You can't stop, say you will or to be downloaded. There is ’no mercy’, and it is just to bite it. I was really, really bad, and that went a long time before I trip smiled and felt something was fat.
Jesper Vollmer suffered from violent seasickness, and had it bad, ten out of the 18 days. Photo: Tariq Mikkel Khan
He was in charge of procurement for the trip, and he was responsible for, that the kitchen worked. The problem was that the kitchen was below the deck, and each time he moved down, originated the novel. Therefore, the other carrying the fish and the carrots up on the deck, so he could shear them there, where he could still see the water.
And when the others had køkkentjansen, he had to sit on the deck and instruct those who desired it, in what they should do.
- It is at least 10 out of the 18 days, I lay there and had it bad. It was a tough one for me, because I had so many expectations for myself and what was to be done on board. I have tried to be affected by the illness, but having to perform while you are seasick and bad, it is fucking hard. Especially when you need to get the food, he says, and refers to his disability.
He has a spinal cord injury after a badeulykke in Thailand in 2015, that makes, that he draws on one leg and missing the mobility in the right hand.
Film, tv & radio - 6. mar. 2020 - pm. 20:05 Reveals: Would run away from the tv-program
the Cook tells, that it was important for him, that was not taken specific account, as the trip as much had to be a manifestation of that, even if one has disabilities.
- It meant a lot to me that I didn't get a specialrolle on the ship, but we found the roles that suited me. For yes, I can not stand out in the bow, where all the swings, and I lose balance when I pull a sail down, for I have only one and a half hand. But in return, we found out that I am pissegod down in the pit, he explains.
See also: Lund Madsen gives up
last season, the participants were good friends, and they have since bought a sailboat together. How to developed season two not, he admits. Vollmer had not known anyone aboard the boat, and that was quickly formed groupings to the chef's chagrin.
I had written a bit with Wafande before, because we knew we were on the same trip, but otherwise it was completely alien people. It did not make me anything, but that there will be some challenges along the way with some groups and slightly unpleasant mood is too bad, he explains.
Jesper Vollmer is married with Annette Heick. Photo: Tariq Mikkel Khan
Normally one would take such discussions, but you are trapped on a boat somewhere on the Atlantic ocean, they chose to let things slip by.
- Otherwise, really bad mood, and then it becomes a really long trip. There comes some trouble, but people let it slip by, so instead to get it resolved and take the fighting, so it is split between us along the way, and I had not expected.
- Last year was the the game good friends and have bought a boat together, it is not exactly the same in this season. I thought it was a given that you would go out and get some good friends, and we are also some that have been, and we'll see you in private, but the groupings filled very much, and I had not expected. It was too bad, " said Jesper Gordon, however, at the same time stresses that he, despite the seasickness and the groups are pleased that he participated.
’Across the Atlantic’ can be viewed from 22. march on Channel 5 and streaming service Dplay