He had been looking forward to the finals. His last assignment as the Danish national coach after four successful years.
But there will be no european championship finals for Åge Hareide.
It's the end for the Norwegian. Coronaen put an end to his great dream to stand at the head of Denmark at the european championship finals in denmark.
He has been in charge of Denmark in 42 matches and only lost three.
- My contract expires 31. July. Now EM exposed, so there will be no more tasks for me, says Åge Hareide in an interview with Ekstra Bladet.
the UEFA champions league, union of european football associations, elected Tuesday to postpone the finals one year, to 2021 due to the massive spread of the coronavirus.
- It is very a pity the tournament has been postponed. Especially with the thought of the big party that was planned for Copenhagen in a few months. I had been looking forward to EM and to end with the players.
- But the whole world is quiet. Coronaen has affected all, and we ended up in a force majeure situation, says outgoing national coach Åge Hareide explains:
- Many people have lost their jobs, others have become sick and many have died. Very many have it much worse than me. That is why it is a small thing in the big picture that I lose a european championship finals, and it's not something I think very much on, says Åge Hareide to Ekstra Bladet.
He agrees to a postponement of the european championship finals is absolutely the right decision, when looking around on the picture in Europe, which severely affected many countries in these days.
- If the EM had to be eliminated, gamers would also be ill-equipped, because they would first have to be trained up. They would be unprepared. It is the wisest decision to postpone the EM.
- But I think UEFA has been late with the decision. Conversely, Norway, and Denmark reacted quickly and strongly on coronaen, he believes.
Landsholdsspillerne danced around Åge Hareide, when the team had qualified for the european championships after a 1-1 draw against Ireland in Dublin. It was the last test match he was in charge of Denmark. Photo: Lars Poulsen.
The soon-to-former Danish national coach Åge Hareide is sitting right now at home in Molde, and looking out over the mountain.
he does so because he is in the 14-day voluntary quarantine after he came to Molde from travelling as Danish national coach to Amsterdam and Leicester.
I traveled home to Norway via Denmark, but had been both in Amsterdam and Leicester. Since I had been in other countries in Europe, are the rules in Norway that I had in quarantine. I have of course complied with to the letter.
- My quarantine ends on Thursday, when I can once again get outside. And I am looking forward to, explains Åge Hareide in a telephone conversation with the Extra Leaf.
He gets a reputation as an almost invincible team coach with tremendous athletic success. He secured Denmark two finals out of two possible. And then gave he a period of 34 matches in a row without defeat.
In the three and a half years, Denmark has not lost a test match. Only three reached he to lose to Poland, Scotland and Montenegro. And the last defeat dates back to 11. October 2016.
- For me it has been a great pleasure and joy to work with the Danish national team. I have had a fantastic squad with top professional players.
-I look back at the time as incredibly good and positive for my trænerkarriere. It has been a time I will always remember. And so it has been something special to stand in the forefront of Denmark, says Åge Hareide.
What now shall be done for Åge Hareide, is unknown. He has not definitively decided whether the trænerkarrieren to stop.
- I'm waiting for the world to become normal again. I have not decided what needs to be done.
- However, when Denmark once again gets opened, I'm down to DBU for a chance to properly say goodbye. I have been incredibly pleased to work as the Danish national coach, and to cooperate with all the peoples of the DBU. It has been a great pleasure for me, says Norwegian, with firmness in his voice.
--------- SPLIT ELEMENT ---------Hareide to celebrate
EM-postponement to 2021 was at the same time, a favel for Åge Hareide as the Danish national coach in belgium.
the Norwegian finished the job. The contract expires 31. July, but there is not more to do for Åge Hareide, although testkampene in June against Sweden and Norway has not yet officially cancelled, but it is expected to be very soon.
For Peter Mills, who spoke with Åge Hareide shortly after UEFA's announcement, it was the hardest conversation in the job as fodbolddirektør.
- It really hurts me to Åge do not get the right to host the event with. He has truly earned, says Peter Møller and elaborates:
- For us, it is now on to find an event, an event where we can pay tribute to Åge Hareide for the work he has done for English football. It deserves to he in truth.
- It is quite unique results he has created for Danish football. It was big shoes he had to fill out after Morten Olsen, but it managed he to bravura. Åge Hareide has left a big imprint on the Danish landsholdsfodbold. We should never forget him, says fodbolddirektøren.
See also: No guarantee to the EM-fans with tickets: I can't answer that,
See also: Goodbye, EM Goodbye Åge!
See also: Schmeichel shelves Hareide
See also: Millionerne tumbles into: Lather the cream on EM