The French cycling race Tour de France should be cancelled, if it can prevent the spread of corona virus.
It takes the French cykelikon Bernard Hinault and mentions that the organizer, ASO, should not hesitate a cancellation.
- the Tour de France is a great celebration, but life is even more important. We are talking about, that people risk to die.
- In such a situation, we are frankly indifferent to cycling, says Hinault, according to the cyclingnews.com in an interview with the newspaper Le Parisien.
In his active career he won the today 65-year-old Hinault, the French stage race five times.
There are still more than three months to the Tour-the start goes in Nice 27. June, so that is possible to wait and see.
- If there is a need to cancel the Tour, so we must not hesitate. We are up against a disease, and it is far more serious, he says.
Bernard Hinault refers to the fight against coronavirus as a war.
- We frankly cannot afford to say that the Tour must be run for any price. The decision is not up to me.
- There is still time to run on, but we should ask ourselves whether it makes sense to let people huddle together along the roads, if there is still a risk.
Tens of thousands of spectators standing on the roads every day, he says.
Even if Hinault does not believe that the ASO should hesitate with a cancellation of the Tour, so think biking icon, represented by that decision can be pulled to the beginning of June.
- the Beginning of June is the maximum (you can drag it, red.). The tour is a great machine, where there is a need for the police and the hotels. Honestly then one should not hesitate, he says.
The International Cykelunion (UCI) has currently suspended all bicycle racing until 3. april. More forårsløb is either cancelled or postponed to later in the year.
See also: Big bike race canceled
See also: Danish cycling cancels all of the races leading up to may
See also: Cycling is prohibited in Spain: - I am insane