on Saturday afternoon came a message from The International ice hockey league (IIHF), as many had expected.
See also: Now will be the WORLD championships in ice hockey canceled
A WORLD championship in ice hockey in Switzerland for may is cancelled due to the rampaging coronaviruses.
- We have held council meetings several times a week for the past three-four weeks, so I have been able to see where the bar goes. Here, the cancellation was inevitable, says Henrik Bach Nielsen, president of Danish ice Hockey Union (DIU).
The official cancellation has been late in coming, because the IIHF and the participants the three countries have had to be in full control of the insurance, which was to make sure that it is not ended with a big economic slap in the face.
It is in place now, and Henrik Bach Nielsen said that Denmark is not affected financially by the cancellation. However, it can have another negative consequence for the Danish ice hockey.
Together with Sweden, Denmark is namely designated as a WORLD cup host in 2025, but it may be that we, together with the Swedish neighbours may have to wait longer to be able to welcome the world elite in ice hockey again.
- There is a country, which has been working with it here in two years. There will be much sympathy for Switzerland in relation to get them into the loop again, say, DIU-chairman.
- That in no way made a decision on anything. Now we just have the smoke to put it here.
- But it is clear that there can be a breakdown from 2021 and onwards, where one would like to have Switzerland in again. And yes, it puts our WORLD in 2025 under the pressure, he says.
In without too much effort could change the plans, so the WORLD championships in Denmark and Sweden are being pushed a year?
- I would say that we could organizational. But I will also say, that it is not my first priority. 2025 is better than 2026. 2026 is an OLYMPIC year, so right here and now, I would rather have the 2025.
- But I then, of course, to consult on the considerations that need to be taken to Switzerland, explains Henrik Bach Nielsen.
you Know, when you get clarity about the WORLD championship on Danish soil should be pulled?
- We have agreed that now we hold council meetings every week over the phone, and of course we are going to talk about it, but it will not be on this side of the summer, saith the DIU-president.
See also: Brilliant gesture: Buying useless tickets for his dogs
See also: WORLD cup in ice hockey should be discussed at the meeting on Tuesday