When living with dogs and/or cats it is important to know that you have to be careful with some household items. And it is that, despite the fact that they need to be in contact with nature, there are plants that can be a danger to the health of both animals. Even plants that are very beneficial to humans.
Some plants are toxic to them if ingested. It must be taken into account that toxicity is directly proportional to the amount ingested and the size of the animal. In the event that this situation occurs, it is important to go to the vet.
Animals eating plants is something that can easily happen, since it has to do with the balance of fiber in the diet. If this occurs, dogs or cats may present signs such as a rash, itching, or other types of skin eruptions, fever, or pain. It is important, therefore, to take into account the condition of the animals to ensure that they do not have any of these symptoms.
The epitaphyllum, although it is easy to care for, has striking green leaves and a particular bloom that, if ingested, can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, among other symptoms such as vomiting. A common symptom among all plants toxic to them.
Aloe contains aloin, a bitter, yellowish substance, which is a powerful laxative. In addition, it causes vomiting and diarrhea if ingested and can also cause contact dermatitis.
Ivy, poto, hydrangea, narcissus, dracaena, anthurium, or azaleas are examples of indoor plants that are toxic to both animals. However, there are other plants that are especially dangerous for them.
There are two large groups that are especially toxic. The first, called the "Tree of Life" is one of the most used plants for use inside houses. The other is that of the Euphorbiaceae family. In this, the popular Easter or Christmas Flower stands out, characterized by red petals with green leaves on the stems.
Other plants that are dangerous due to their toxicity also stand out among the gardens. This is the case of the tiger tail, the gold button, the pokeweed, the rubber or the federal star.