Seven counts of first-degree murder are brought against a Highland Park gunman

Officials announced Tuesday that seven counts of first degree murder were filed against the suspect gunman who was accused of shooting dead a Fourth of July parade organiser in Highland Park, Illinois.

NewsEditor
NewsEditor
05 July 2022 Tuesday 17:31
5 Reads
Seven counts of first-degree murder are brought against a Highland Park gunman

Officials announced Tuesday that seven counts of first degree murder were filed against the suspect gunman who was accused of shooting dead a Fourth of July parade organiser in Highland Park, Illinois. Eric Rinehart, Lake County State's Attorney, said Tuesday night that he anticipates dozens more charges.

Rinehart stated that he would ask for the arrest of Robert Crimo III (21 years old) without bail. Rinehart stated that if convicted, he would be sentenced to a life imprisonment without parole.

The authorities stated Tuesday that they believed the suspect gunman planned the attack many weeks in advance. Police say he disguised himself as a woman and blended in with the crowd, allegedly attacking paradegoers on a rooftop using a high-powered rifle. He killed seven people and injured dozens more.

On Tuesday, Lake County Coroner Jennifer Banek identified six victims who had died Monday: Katherine Goldstein (64); Kevin McCarthy (37); Irina McCarthy (35); Jacquelyn Moondheim (63); Stephen Straus (88); and Nicolas Toledo-Zaragoza (78). Officials confirmed Tuesday that a seventh victim of a shooting had also died.

CBS Chicago reports that Kevin and Irina McCarthy are the parents of a 2-year old boy who was taken from his parents in the chaos. Police have now reunited the child with his grandparents after the shooting.

His family confirmed that Toledo was visiting Mexico. Sundheim was a staffer at North Shore Congregation Israel in nearby, which had previously announced her passing on its website.

Highland Park Police reported Tuesday that at least 45 people were killed or injured in the shooting.

According to Chris Covelli, a spokesperson for Lake County Major Crime Task Force, the suspect was taken into custody Monday evening without any incident.

Covelli stated that Crimo had pre-planned the attack for many weeks.

Covelli stated that investigators had spoken with the suspect but have not found a motive. He said that the shooting appeared to be random.

According to information that investigators have found, Covelli claims Crimo purchased the high-powered rifle in the attack legally in Illinois. According to police, more than 70 shots were fired during the shooting.

Covelli stated that investigators believe the suspect used an escape ladder to climb onto a roof of a building overlooking parade route. He also wore women's clothing during shooting to hide his facial tattoos.

Covelli stated that he fled the scene along with others who were attending the Independence Day celebrations in Chicago suburb after the shooting. He then walked to his mother in the vicinity and borrowed her car.

Covelli stated that he "mixed right in with everyone else as they ran around, almost like he was an innocent observer as well."

Covelli stated Tuesday that investigators still need a female witness to confirm their suspicions about the suspect dropping an item in a red blanket left behind Ross after the shooting.

Covelli stated that the suspect had traveled to Madison, Wisconsin before returning to Illinois where he was arrested.

Covelli stated that authorities had released a description for the car and that an "alert person of the community" saw the vehicle and called 911. The car was then seen by a North Chicago officer who waited for backup before pulling the car over and taking the suspect into custody.

Police say a second rifle was discovered in the vehicle. They believe that the suspect bought the weapon as well as other legal firearms at his home.

Covelli stated that the rifle found at the scene of the shooting was "directly" connected to the suspect.

Covelli stated Tuesday night that Highland Park police had spoken to the suspect at least twice before the shooting. After learning that the suspect attempted suicide, an individual called police in April 2019. The police responded to the call but were not allowed to enter the home.

A family member reported to police that the suspect threatened to kill everyone in September 2019. The suspect called 911 to report that he was going to "kill everyone." Police responded and took several knives from his home, including a knife and a sword. However, Covelli stated that there wasn't probable cause for him to be arrested. The incident was reported to the Illinois State Police at that time.

Rinehart answered Tuesday when asked why the incidents didn't prevent the suspect legally obtaining multiple firearms. He said that he couldn't comment on the process of issuing the permit by the state police in this case. He noted that Illinois' red-flag laws require relatives or other "knowing the subject" to file a complaint with the court.

A statement by Illinois State Police states that "noone, not even family, was willing or able to proceed with a complaint" nor did they provide any information regarding threats or mental illness that would have allowed law enforcements to take further action." This statement was made in 2019.

The statement stated that the subject didn't have either a Firearms Owner Identification card to revoke, or an pending FOID application to deny at the time of the September 2019 attack. "The matter was closed after this determination was made by the Illinois State Police."

Nancy Rotering, Highland Park Mayor, said Tuesday on CBS Mornings that she knew the suspect as a boy.

She said, "I was his Cub Scout leader." "... I feel so sorry for everyone in this community. It's not clear what compelled him to do this in his hometown. However, we have a city in deep mourning right now, and it will take us a while to heal from this.

Comments

Warning!

You have to login for comment. If you are not a member? Register now.

Login Sign Up