9 women were brutally assaulted in north China and they were arrested

HONG KONG -- Chinese authorities have arrested nine suspects in a violent assault on several women in a restaurant.

NewsEditor
NewsEditor
13 June 2022 Monday 10:59
10 Reads
9 women were brutally assaulted in north China and they were arrested

HONG KONG -- Chinese authorities have arrested nine suspects in a violent assault on several women in a restaurant. The attack was caught on surveillance video and caused widespread outrage.

Video footage from Tangshan, northern Hebei province. It was time stamped at 2:40 a.m. on Friday. One of the men approached a table with four women and placed his hand on her back.

He tried to slap her several times, but she rebuffed them all. The brawl began with several men entering the restaurant, attacking the woman and her dining companions, including pushing them to the ground and kicking them.

The attackers also captured footage from outside the restaurant, showing the women who had refused to be intimidated by the man being dragged out of the establishment and brutally beating her while passersby and patrons watched.

Online, there were many viral photos of her on a stretcher with a bloodied and swollen face.

The public outcry and the assault rekindled a discussion about misogyny in China and women's treatment. A viral video showing a woman chained to a wall inside a hut earlier this year drew backlash from the public. Authorities initially denied that she was being trafficked. Later, it was discovered that she had been sold as an heirloom bride.

According to the statement made by authorities on Weibo, all nine suspects were taken into custody Saturday.

Two women suffered non-life-threatening injuries, and were being treated in a hospital. They were reported to be in stable condition. Two other people were also slightly hurt.

It took just five minutes to capture the events both inside and out of the restaurant. One of the Weibo users who posted the video said that it was heartbreaking to watch.

The post said, "Does this mean that dining out now is so unsafe? Do we have to take men everywhere we go?" These men are not different from thugs.

The user refused to disclose the source of the videos when reached and stated that it was "inconvenient". The video of the inside footage had been viewed over 68,000,000 times by Sunday. Meanwhile, the footage outside had been removed.

Social media users condemned the attack and criticised Tangshan police's slow arrests.

One user on Weibo, BaobaomaoDaren, said that she was a woman and had a daughter. "I wonder if this society will protect me and my child, as I create value for society and spread positive energy?"

Comments

Warning!

You have to login for comment. If you are not a member? Register now.

Login Sign Up