Paris (CNN)As France's presidential candidates gathered for the final debate in an already tumultuous election campaign, the sound of gunfire rang out on the streets of Paris once again.
- Opinion: The stakes for the French election just got higher
- Marine Le Pen, French presidential candidates salute police
- French candidate publicizes Obama call before Sunday vote
- The beginner's guide to the French elections
- Emmanuel Macron: The next surprise president?
- French election: Le Pen, Macron... or Mélenchon?
- Opinion: The frightening similarities between the US and French elections
CNN's Melissa Bell and Jim Bitterman reported from Paris. James Masters wrote from London. Euan McKirdy contributed to this report.